Thursday, September 13, 2012

settled







After a scrumptious Thai dinner at my favorite Thai restaurant with my partner Kelly & my oldest-younger sister, Hope, we retreated home, approximately 9:30pm Saturday evening.

As we're disrobing from our nice but stuffy attire, Kelly asks "do you like our life?"


 
Random. I thought. So I asked for clarification.

"Here we are, on a Saturday night, getting into our comfy clothes before 10 o'clock, are you OK with that?"

I didn't want to think too long, she's a worrier  - over analyzer - a bit sensitive (but quite wonderful)






So as I sat there with my pants half off (no this is not going to get X rated so keep reading) petting one of our 5 felines, I thought... am I?


Again, clarification is much needed when answering questions that could make or break your evening. So I insisted she explain why she would ask such a question.

Her reason for asking is that by knowing me, you know that I'm a social butterfly. I love to go, go, go & be social, social, social. Or do I? I think I did, but I don't think I do... anymore. Not sure if it's age or just life, but I am happy as a bug in a rug (why is a bug happy in a rug? I find them on my hardwood floors & they seem just as happy to me) *ADD moment* ... anywhoo....


I DID like the social life, the going out, meeting people, dancing to loud music where you have to yell at the person next to you in order to have any type of conversation. But I think I'm over this scene.

Damn, am I getting OLD?!?! ?!?!?!?!?!!?

As a young rodent, I remember questioning two specific things about my parents:

#1 - why don't they ever do anything or go anywhere?
           Now that I'm SLOWLY creeping up on my 40's,  I can answer this many ways, one being that they had 4 kids so having any kind of money for a social life was moot.

Energy. After working 5 long days & running kids all over for soccer, cheer-leading, theater, whatever else... who has energy to go out?

Peace... I think that's most important. You work with people 40 hrs+ a week, you answer to bosses, you gab on phone calls, doctor appts, make small talk with other parents at school events, conference with teachers.... so think about it... 2 days where it's just you. Whether you have someone or it's just you, it's PEACE. Pure peace. No deadlines, no meetings, no orders, no calls that must be answered.... it's what you want to do at that given time. And I've learned that that is ... nothing. And it's wonderful.

#2 - why the hell would they CHOOSE to get up before 9:00 am on a Saturday??? Absolutely absurd. What is wrong with them?

         Simple. Because you can't sleep in. Not that you don't want to, you just can't. Sure, at first it was babies & kids when they were younger but even as they get older, you still don't sleep in. In my house, it's the cats. They want fed when they want fed, end of story. And they will be sure to let you know. In addition to the demanding fur-babies... it's your body & mind's routine. I've found myself many a bright sunny morning trying to force my eye lids to shut & doze off into a deep slumber but it just doesn't happen. The vicious cycle of thoughts starts....

       "I should get up because the cats need fed & probably need water, oh which reminds me the filters need replaced in the kitchen, ugh I have to do the dishes from last night but maybe if I pretend to be asleep she'll do them first, but I need to start that crockpot meal, but need to go to the store but didn't do the list & I need coffee before I do the list and have to plan the week's meals, I should make that chicken dish that was so good, then we'll have lunch for the week too & I need to organize my recipes since I hoard them and that cupboard is jammed packed so I'll just go clean that out now... " 

and we all know you're screwed at this point so might as well just get up.

So in answer to my question, Am I getting old... NAH! I'm getting old-ER. Life is too precious to spend it sleeping or in smoky bars. I would much rather spend one on one time with friends having dinner at a quiet not-so-hot-spot (not that we've given up partying altogether, not yet!)

All in all, my butt is quite content watching our DVR'd shows with my love or sitting in the office giggling at things we find on Pinterest. Those are the things that I enjoy & that make my life so "likeable". So in answer to her question, "yes dear, I like our life very much."

No comments:

Post a Comment