Wednesday, September 19, 2012

high maintenance... Moi?

Today I was referred to as "high maintenance". 

I have to admit, this is not the first time I've been called that. I know in my head what I think of when I hear "high maintenance" and I don't feel I fit the criteria, but those who disagree please feel free to call me out on it... I know where most of you live.

How I define "High Maintenance":

One who expects everything at their beckon call, wants to be waited on & must have the cream of the crop, won't settle for less.

 
Urban Dictionary Definition:

high maintenance
1.A female that requires more than average hair/nail/pedicure/skin care services, the latest trends, name brand clothes/shoes and handbags, and lots of attention.


I may be "high maintenance" in what I expect from MYSELF. for instance, I am very particular about my hair. I'm passionate about hair. I love that it's the one thing on our body we can change & keep changing that can make a huge difference in our appearance. I can't change my nose w/o money & surgery, I can't change my short torso & long legs, I can't change my freckles. but I can change my hair, thus I'm picky about it. I like it perfect, I won't disagree about that. But how does that put anyone else out? I actually prefer no one to touch my hair. I color it myself. I only have it cut by someone else & that's it. Don't think that qualifies as "high maintenance". Oh and I pay $20 for shampoo & cut, not talking Rodeo Drive here. 

I also feel that those described under this topic must have the cream of the crop. Such as Coach, Tiffany, Lexus... whatever you have it MUST have a glitsy tag to go with it. If you wanna give those things to me I won't turn them away but definitely not a requirement to keep me whistling Dixie.


I mean, who wants a purse with the letter "C" all over it? Is this Wheel of Fortune? Can I get a "J" at least I'll know it's mine.



 
Let's rummage through some of my things...

~ I own a handbag from Marshall's, cost me $70. No where near the cost of a Coach bag. The way I treat my purses, there's no way in hell I'd spend over $100 on a purse!
~ Tiffany, yea I have her album but how does that make me "high maintenance"? Not getting this, oh well.
~ I drive a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant with my 2 "rescue" magnets & my Bills plate. How's THAT for high maintenance? Sexy kinda, huh?
~ My watch is Fossil, got it at an outlet store for about $20. I love it. So much that it's lost it's ticking ability months ago, yet I still wear it.
~ My feet see a pedicure about 2-3 times a year. My nails... never. I can't stand when I can't pick my own wedgies with those fake things on. 

~ My shoe "collection" is 70% Old Navy $2.50 flip flops. Don't be jealous.
~ Facials - never had one, never will. Touch my face & I turn into Bruce Lee. I will break your hand. Hate to be all drama but it's a huge pet peeve. No touchy my facey :)

 
LOVE this movie. If you've never seen it, do so ~ one of the BEST!
The Emperor's New Groove.

Now... do I like attention, sure, if it's positive attention but who doesn't? I like when people compliment my hair. It's an art people, it doesn't just happen. So yea I like to be recognized... but for my talents, not my arm adornment.














When I shop, which is in "discount" stores (TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshall's) I don't have personal shoppers, Kelly CHOOSES to follow me around holding my bags, by no means is it a requirement, just an added

Bottom line, I'm troubled that I have been labeled "high maintenance". I just don't think the shoe fits... not that it's not good enough, don't get me wrong!!! I just find this comparison untrue.









No comments:

Post a Comment